Monday, August 3, 2009

It all began with a "chicken booger"

So for years I have fretted over Max's pickiness. The kid doesn't eat anything, as many of you know. He's always told me that when he turned 5 years old he would eat more food, but I've dismissed it as him just reaching for some faraway number that gave him a chance to put off trying everything I set in front of him. In the past few weeks, however, he's been suddenly declaring his affection for foods that he earlier refused to even have on his plate. A few weeks ago, completely out of the blue, he told me that he wanted to try a "chicken booger" from Wendy's. I was skeptical, to say the least, but I gave it a shot and sure enough, he ate it and liked it. I realize that I shouldn't have been so excited about a kid liking a fast food menu item, but this is a huge deal! And it seems to have opened the floodgates. Last week he informed me that he now likes carrots and would like to start eating them. Imagine my surprise at this and my near heart attack when he actually followed through and ate a couple at dinner. Last night he tried pepperoni pizza at our Gospel Community group (for those who don't know, it was not too long ago that he would only eat cheese pizza AT COSTCO. Even if we brought Costco pizza home he would have nothing to do with it. That is how picky this kid is!) Then this morning he asked for milk on his cereal...MILK! This from a child who even as a baby never drank milk. And now he's said he loves spaghetti...something I'm hoping to put to the test shortly. I called Mark in disbelief to tell him about all of this and he said 'You know he told us that he'd eat more at 5' and here he is, a couple weeks from his 5th birthday, making good on his word. Some kid.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: