Tuesday, June 8, 2010

On (Not) Getting the Job

Up until today, I had a secret that only Mark and my sister knew: Last month I applied for a job. Not a "real" job, as in one that would take me outside of the home and into an office, but a writing job. It was for a blog called Ohdeedoh, which focuses on modern design and kids. I've been a reader of the blog for a couple years now and when they put out a call for a new contributor I thought, "why not?" For a week, I worked to put together my application, which included a nursery tour and a "Round-Up", a collection of items focused around a single theme. I used Jack's nursery and did a round up of kids' market totes. It was a lot of fun and made me remember what it felt like to write. I loved it.

I found out recently that I didn't get the job.

It was disappointing, but at the same time I think not getting the job was exactly what I needed. If I really want to try my hand at writing again, I need to practice up, keep working, write, write, write and ultimately try again. And again and again and again. And I need to work on my photography skills. Blog contributors don't just write, they submit their own photos and I am the first to admit that my photography skills are sub-par. I don't know how to use Photoshop (I don't even own it!) and I know that's a must. So even though I didn't get the job, it's time for me to get to work.

I also realized that I never showed Jack's finished nursery on this blog. Here it is (although truthfully it isn't finished. We've got doors to replace and curtains to hang, but all in good time, right?)




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Zardoz said...

Blog or no blog, you're a very keen crafter. Also, I'm quite pleased to see that "In My Nest" book in the last picture. We have "In My Den" and "In My Pond". We love those books so much - the illustrations are so beautiful and contemporary, and Elliott loves them, too.

annie said...

You would have been a great contributor to ohdeedoh and another reason to continue my addiction to reading it daily!! You'll find your spot! :)